This year [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Madonna[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]LMFAO[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Nicki Minaj[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Cee Lo Green[/lastfm] and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]M.I.A[/lastfm] are all hitting the stage, and it’s promised to be one of the biggest in Super Bowl history!
She has some tough competition from past Half Time performers.
So because of that, I’m going to countdown the top five best Super Bowl Halftime performances.
The Super Bowl halftime show has become a much ballyhooed fifteen minute performance in which some great performers deliver spellbinding sets and others simply embarrass themselves.
5. Nsync, Aerosmith, Britney Spears, Nelly, and Mary J. Blige – Super Bowl XXV (2001)
In 2001, you’d have been hard pressed to find a boy band bigger than Nsync. Fresh off selling two million copies of their album in a week, Justin and the others were on top of the world. Aerosmith were experiencing a resurgence in their careers due to their hit, “Jaded,” which led to the two bands collaborating. Britney Spears got to perform simply because she and Timberlake were hot and heavy at the time. Nelly and Mary J. Blige make brief appearances to rock out on “Walk This Way.” Even if you hated bubblegum pop music, you gave it a pass for this electrifying show.
4. Prince – Super Bowl XLI (2007)
Three years after Nipplegate, Prince tore the halftime show up. The Purple One went through some of his tamer hits and even did an ill rendition of The Foo Fighters’ “Best of You.” Not one to go without any controversy, Prince played a guitar solo during his signature “Purple Rain” where he put up a sheet and simulated self love. Dude gave a showstopping performance in the rain wearing heels and his head scarf. You know how Prince is about his perm.Vodpod videos no longer available.
3. Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake – Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004)
Janet Jackson was on the promotional trail for her album Damita Jo when she hit the Superbowl stage. Being that Janet is the consummate performer, everybody knew she was going to do the damn thing. What we didn’t know was we were going to get a glimpse of her pierced mammary. After running through, ”All For You” and “Rhythm Nation,” Timberlake hit the stage for “Rock Your Body.” When he sang, “Better have you naked by the end of this song,” he couldn’t fathom how accurate that lyric would be. Ms. Jackson’s breast caused a lot of women to smack their men for drooling. Who cares if it was a publicity stunt! They also gave birth to the phrase “wardrobe malfunction.”
2. U2 – Super Bowl XXXVI (2002)
The Super Bowl in 2002 was marred by sadness. America was still reeling from the attack on the World Trade Center five months earlier. Legendary rock band U2 made sure the people lost in the attack were not forgotten by projecting the names of every person whose lives were taken on the horrific day. Bono and crew did what they do best; entertain us while slipping in a social message. Well done U2, well done.
1. Michael Jackson – Super Bowl XXVII (1993)
Michael Jackson never just put on a show. He made every performance a spectacle. His 1993 Super Bowl performance was no exception. Using holographic images of himself to make an entrance, Michael had the crowd going wild just by standing still. Once he started singing hits like “Billie Jean,” “Black or White,” and “Jam,” he had the world in the palm of his hand. MJ then made a statement of racial harmony and world peace with “Heal the World.” Long live the king!
And this year? Well this year will be just as memorable! Madonna definitely knows how put on a show!
What was YOUR favorite Super Bowl performance? Share in the comments below!
Latest from 923NOW.com >
- Win Tickets to the Minneapolis Home + Garden Show
- Watch: Jason Aldean And His Wife Brittany Answer Fans Questions
- Eric Church Fights Scalping Bots by Canceling 25,000 Fraudulently Purchased Tickets
- Florida Georgia Line, Backstreet Boys Drop ‘God, Your Mama and Me’ Video
- Adele, Dolly Parton, Old Crow Medicine Show Contribute to Brandi Carlile’s ‘Cover Stories’ Album
- Blake Shelton Takes Gwen Stefani & Kids on Helicopter Ride
- Win Tickets to a Timberwolves College Night Game!
- Win Tickets to see Granger Smith!
- New Dustin Lynch Song ‘Small Town Boy’ Just Released!
- Little Big Town Mourn Heartbreak on ‘When Someone Stops Loving You’